Double Master Degree with Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) in Barcelona
Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) in Barcelona and Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU) are proud to launch a Double Master Degree. The Department of Political and Social Sciences at UPF and the Geschwister Scholl Institute of Political Science (GSI) at LMU Munich have teamed up to offer a double program by taking the Master in Current Democracies: Nationalism, Federalism and Multiculturalism at UPF (60 ECTS) and the Master Program in Political Science of LMU Munich (120 ECTS).
The study program at each institution will comprise one year. In the first year all students participating in the double degree program will follow the program at UPF and the second year of the program will take place at LMU Munich. The double degree is fully taught in English. Students successfully participating in the program and fulfilling all academic and administrative requirements will be awarded the following degrees:
- LMU: Master of Arts (M.A.) Politikwissenschaft
- UPF: Máster Universitario en Democracias Actuales: Nacionalismo, Federalismo y Multiculturalidad / Màster Universitari en Democràcies Actuals: Nacionalisme, Federalisme i Multiculturalitat
(The UPF degree will be awarded after the successfully completion of the LMU Munich Master program.)
The study plan that will lead to the Double Degree graduation in both degrees is established as follows:
During Year 1 students will enroll in 60 ECTS of the Master in Current Democracies at UPF. They will have to follow the study plan as established for the students of the Master in Current Democracies, but as the master thesis will be written during the second year at LMU in Munich, they will have to take 35 ECTS (and not 15) to be chosen among the UPF electives (10 ECTS of which have to be chosen in Techniques of Statistical Analysis and 5 ECTS in The Construction of the EU and its Consequences on the Population of Europe). Completion of these requirements is deemed equivalent for being recognized for all modules of year 1 with two optional subjects of the Master Program in Political Science. Participants are therefore admitted to year 2 of the Master Program in Political Science. All students of the double degree will write their master thesis according to the LMU program, but tutors of UPF staff may also be chosen as tutors of the thesis.
In order to participate in the double degree program, applicants have to satisfy the academic and admission requirements of both institutions.
Admission Requirements at UPF
Admission Requirements at LMU
International students have to apply at the Geschwister Scholl Institute of Political Science (GSI) and at the International Office of LMU. A certificate of German knowledge is NOT necessary.
- LMU International Office: http://www.en.uni-muenchen.de/students/degree/admission_info/index.html
- GSI: http://www.en.gsi.uni-muenchen.de/study/application/application_ma_pw/index.html
- UPF: See admission calendar
- LMU: 15th July
Students participating in the double degree program pay the regular tuition fees at UPF for the Master in Current Democracies (see tuition fees).
At LMU Munich, all students are required to pay a mandatory fee for student services (Grundbeitrag) (currently 52 €) and for basic off-peak public transport ("Semesterticket") (currently 61 €). This fee is charged at the beginning of each semester by LMU Munich on behalf of the Munich Student Services ("Studentenwerk").
- Program coordinator at LMU: Prof. Dr. Christoph Knill
- Administrative support at LMU: Christina Kern, M.A. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Program coordinator at UPF: Prof. Dr. Klaus-Jürgen Nagel (email@example.com)
- Administrative support at UPF: Department of Political and Social Sciences (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Website UPF Double Degree with LMU