Department of Political Science
Chair of Empirical Theories of Politics
Phone: 089 / 2180-9100
Vytautas Jankauskas is Post-Doctoral research fellow at the University of Konstanz (Public Administration and Organization Theory) and a Visiting Scholar the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (Geschwister-Scholl-Institute of Political Science), where he also obtained his PhD in Political Science (summa cum laude).
In his research, he examines International Organizations (IOs), exploring the relationship between member states and IO secretariats. His work deals with IO performance, issues of trust and evidence-based policymaking. He is also part of the DFG-Research-Unit International Public Administration (ipa-research.com), working on evaluation in International Organizations as well as their different administrative styles.
He conducted research at the headquarters of major IOs, including the EU, ILO, IOM, FAO, OECD, UNESCO, UNHCR, WHO, WTO, IMF, World Bank, UNDP, UNFPA, UNICEF and others.
Vytautas graduated from the Dresden University of Technology with a bachelor’s degree in International Relations and gained his Master of Arts in Political Science at the LMU Munich (best of the year). He also spent a semester abroad at the Charles University in Prague and previously worked as a trainee at the European Parliament in Brussels and Strasbourg as well as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania. Before starting his PhD, he worked as a research assistant at different chairs and research projects at the LMU Munich.
Eckhard, S., Jankauskas, V. (2022): The Politics of Evaluation in International Organizations. Oxford University Press. Forthcoming.
Jankauskas, V. (2021): Delegation and Stewardship in International Organizations. Journal of European Public Policy. Online First, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13501763.2021.1883721
Jankauskas, V., Eckhard, S., Ege, J. (2021): The Method of Structured, Focused Comparison (Book chapter in: Introduction to International Organization Research Methods, Eds. Fanny Badache, Lucile Maertens, Leah R. Kimber). Michigan University Press. Forthcoming.
Heinkelmann-Wild, T., Jankauskas, V. (2020): To Yield or Shield? Comparing International Public Administrations’ Responses to Member States’ Policy Contestation. Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis. Online First, https://doi.org/10.1080/13876988.2020.1822144.
Eckhard, S., Jankauskas, V. (2020): Explaining the political use of evaluation in international organizations. Policy Sciences 53, 667–695, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11077-020-09402-2.
Jankauskas, V., Eckhard, S. (2019): International Bureaucracies as Strategic Actors: How the Better Regulation Reform Strengthens the European Commission. Politische Vierteljahresschrift. 60, 681–699, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11615-019-00189-3.
Eckhard, S., Jankauskas, V. (2019): The Politics of Evaluation in International Organizations: A comparative Study of Stakeholder Influence Potential. Evaluation. 25(1), https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1356389018803967.
Weiss, M., Jankauskas, V. (2019): Securing cyberspace: How states design governance arrangements. Governance. 32(2), https://doi.org/10.1111/gove.12368.
Conferences and workshops
• upcoming: International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Convention, 2022 March, Nashville, USA
• 2021 September: European Group For Public Administration (EGPA), Annual Coference 2021, Online (won best Comparative EGPA Paper 2021 award)
• 2021 September: German Political Science Association, Annual Conference 2021, Online
• 2021 August: European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) General Conference 2021, Online
• 2021 March: Conference on International Public Administrations, DFG-Research Unit “International Public Administration”, Online
• 2020 August: European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) General Conference 2020, Online
• 2020 January: Workshop "Decline and Death of International Organizations", ERC project NestIOr, Brussels
• 2019 September: European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) General Conference 2019, Wrocław
• 2019 June: Workshop “Contested Liberal World Order – Nationalist Challenges for Multilateralism”, LMU Munich, Munich
• 2019 March: Workshop at the DFR-Research Unit “International Public Administration” meeting, University of Konstanz, Konstanz
• 2018 November: Workshop “Politikevaluation und Evaluationspolitik” at the WZB Berlin Social Science Center, Berlin
• 2018 September: German Political Science Association, Annual Conference 2021, Frankfurt
• 2018 June: Workshop “Researching the United Nations and Other International Organizations (RUN 2018)”, University of Geneva, Geneva
• 2018 May: United Nations Evaluation Group, Evaluation Week 2018, Rome
• 2018 April: High-level Expert Meeting “From Data to European Policy-Making: The use of Metrics to reframe Policies”, European University Institute, Florence
• 2018 March: Workshop at the Young Researcher Group meeting of the DFR-Research Unit “International Public Administration”, LMU Munich, Munich
• 2018 January: Workshop “Policy Evaluation in the European Union”, Maastricht University, Campus Brussels, Brussels
• 2017 October: Workshop at the DFR-Research Unit “International Public Administration” meeting, LMU Munich, Munich
Summer 2021: 'Inside International Organizations', University of Konstanz. Master Seminar.
Summer 2021: 'Crisis and Power Shifts inside and outside of Europe', LMU Munich. European Studies Summer School
Summer 2019: ‘The Politics of Crisis Management and Conflict Resolution in Ukraine’, University of Konstanz. Applied research seminar with field trip to Kiev, Ukraine (with Steffen Eckhard).